Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Christian's Nursing Journey

My gorgeous son, Christian
 As many of you know, I am big into breastfeeding. I believe that it is the most important thing you can do for your child besides love them unconditionally.

While I was pregnant with Christian, I read an amazing book on breastfeeding called "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding". It is written by La Leche League International. A non-governmental organization whose mission is to "help mothers worldwide to breastfeed through mother-to-mother support, encouragement, information, and education, and to promote a better understanding of breastfeeding as an important element in the healthy development of the baby and mother."
When I read this book I read the stories of countless women who were determined to feed their children the way God intended; with their breasts. The stories were romantic...mushy, in fact, and made my passion to nurse my child that much more intense. The way women described the loving gaze they received from their baby while he was nursing broke my heart and I couldn't think of a way to develop a deeper connection between mother and child.

I also read stories about the struggle associated with breastfeeding...especially concerning mothers who return to work (boo hoo!) after their child is born. These women were dedicated to a degree that required a commitment from the soul. I knew that if they could continue to nurse and pump while maintaining a career, then I could, too. While I have not returned to work as of yet, I have already made my mind up to pump breast milk so that he will still be able to "nurse" while I am away from him. I know it won't be easy, I know that there will be days when I will feel like throwing in the towel and settling for formula, but I believe so strongly in breastfeeding (much the same way I did about natural childbirth) that I am positive I will succeed.

"The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" also has the BEST description of what a normal labor and delivery story looks like. This story was what helped me most through Christian's natural birth besides the support of my doula. The story assured me that I was capable of birthing my baby without medication, because (gasp!) women have been doing it since the beginning of time. I have tried to find this story on the internet, but apparently you have to rent or buy the book in order to read it. Sorry, folks. But it is well worth the hassle if you are interested.

When Christian was born, I insisted that he not be bathed; that would take away from the bonding process by eliminating both his and my natural smells. We needed those aromas (however sweaty, natural, gross they may have been!) in order to "know" eachother. My dear friend, Emily Parker, is unable to smell. Therefore she feels cheated out of this experience...but I know that God has given her a heightened sense in another arena that makes her able to "know" her child in a different way. (If you haven't read Emily's blog...you should! Here's the link to her amazing! blog starting with one of my favorite stories of hers. She is who inspired me to start blogging.)

I also insisted that the first time they let me hold him, that we have skin to skin contact. So, I pulled my hospital gown up before they plopped his wet squirmy body on mine. He was so warm! It felt so primal, so natural...like what I was meant to do.
I had read that nursing was like second nature to a baby...that they were born looking for the breast! After I was stitched up (Yeah. Let's not do that again!) and the nurses were done with him I asked to nurse him. I didn't hesitate. I wasn't nervous. I was so excited! I longed to see that look in his eyes when he saw me for the first time and realized that I was his mother...his link to life...the one who would nourish him! I had read that you are supposed to "make a sandwich" so that the baby can get his mouth around the whole of your nipple, so I did. And it worked perfectly. He latched within moments...he was a natural! And I realized that nursing is a team effort and that I had gotten the VIP draft pick of the year!
Once we got back to our private room, Christian was alert and awake and busy visiting with everyone. But I was intent on feeding him yet again. This time I struggled with positioning. I had read about "laid back breastfeeding" where the mom is laying back against the pillows while the baby is laying on top belly to belly, so to speak. But I stunk at it! My lactation consultant showed me the football hold and though it took a few tries to get it right, I had mastered it by the time I left the hospital...or rather, WE had mastered it (Remember, it is a team effort!).

When I first got home my breasts hurt so bad. My milk had come in in a big way! I had been leaking colostrum since I was 25 weeks pregnant. My body was made to make milk. And it was...everywhere...all the time...enough for a third world country. Seriously, my husband was like, "Can you just wear a towel over those things?". So, I called my lactation consultant because my breasts were hard as rocks and I was in a TON of pain and she said 1) HOLD ON! It'll get better! Your body is regulating itself based on Christian's needs. 2) DO NOT PUMP! Your body will think you have triplets instead of just one kid and it will keep making tons of milk. 3) Put some burp cloths in your bra to soak up the milk.

Today, a week and a couple of days after his birth, Christian finds great comfort in breastfeeding. He loves the breast and I don't deny him the right to nurse. While schedule feeding is interesting, I am demand feeding him through the first several weeks of life. The funny thing is that he has set his own schedule and eats pretty regularly between every 2-3 hours almost on the dot. If my breasts get full I know it is time for him to eat, and usually he is already crying out for milk. (It's that whole team thing! It's like we have that intuitive connection...) I love that only I can give him what he most wants. I love that I am able to nourish my son physically and emotionally. I am his "liquid comfort" and I am proud of it.

When people tell me they are unable to breastfeed, I usually feel like it's because they either had a mother who didn't do it or they are too nervous or they feel it to be improper or inconvenient. Very few women are actually unable to nurse (less that 1% worldwide, actually)...but very few women have a great support system either. So, here is my advice...1) Get your husband's buy-in. Tell him why breastfeeding is so important. In fact, tell him to look at all these benefits. There are a ton of reasons to nurse your child. 2) REACH OUT! Find a La Leche League group near you! 3) ASK QUESTIONS! Do not be uninformed! You think you can't nurse? Ask someone to help you... 4) Quit worrying about what's "proper" or "easier" or what's "better for you"...you had a kid, right? Do what is right by the kid! 5) Most hospitals have people like Kris, my lactation consultant because they realize all the benefits of nursing your child. The government pays for many of these people to be in the hospitals as consultants...so USE THEM! That's what they are there for!

While I go back to work in less than seven weeks, I plan on pumping while at work. There are laws to help and support me in this process and I have every intention of knowing them and how to use them to my benefit. My goal is to nurse expressly for 6 months (minimum). My dream is to nurse expressly for one year. I would like to think that I could nurse for two years, but I am taking it six months at a time. That is my commitment to Christian, my husband and myself. I ask that you moms out there who know that benefits of nursing pray for strength for me as I commit to such a task.
 

3 comments:

  1. You got it! I'll pray for exactly what you want and I hope you get it. :) I believe exactly as you do. On the other hand, I had two healthy babies and two entirely different nursing experiences. Megan was a natural, like Christian, and I nursed her for almost a year, and she went right onto a cup from there. Never had a bottle. Jac, on the othe hand... well, it's a long story and I want Christian's and your experience to be just like Megan's and mine... perfect! So, I'll let it stay there. LOL!
    Live, Love, Laugh!
    I love you, Aunt Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg this is WONDERFUL!!!!!!!! such the perfect story and you say exactly what I feel!!! SO many moms say they "can't" when really it boils down to giving up. You are SO determined so you WILL be successful!!! I LOVE that last picture too - it's so beautiful him laying so contently on you like that. Precious!!!! I am very jealous of the smell-bond and I do think it is a big deal (they have found that people born without smell have higher depression rates and I believe it! we're missing out on so many important things!) and love that you are truly appreciating each and every moment. GOOD for you for refusing to quit when you go back to work - people don't "get it" when you put your child first as our world is all about ME ME ME but you're a WONDERFUL mommy and I'm impressed and proud :) thanks too for the blog shout out - glad I helped you get your start!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is so precious. I hope if/when I have a child I am as gung-ho about breast-feeding as you are. I know the benefit certainly outweighs the discomfort or stress it can cause.

    ReplyDelete