Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Christian's Pre-Birthday Bash: THE PREQUEL!

So, I wanted to get the pics up of the shower since that's what most of my friends and family wanted to see. But the day before the big day was pretty darn special, and I'd be slighting some people if I didn't tell the story. 

Friday, February 11th was the day before my weekend off...therefore, it's like a holiday unto its own. When you work retail you are granted one weekend off per month. That's it. Don't ask for more. You won't get it. Right? And typically on the Friday before my weekend off, I spend a good bit of time preparing my team for my absence. This is involves getting numbers configured, setting up a game plan and a contingency plan if something bizarre should happen such as a herd of wild zebras trampling your store (believe me, that scenario is probably closer to the truth than you might imagine!).But this particular Friday was a little different for a couple of reasons.

My assistant manager informed me that she would be coming to the store on Friday (her day off) to say goodbye to our old district manager (who was taking me to lunch that very same day). I am big on work/life balance, and I really don't want my managers in the store on their days off. It's so important to take your time away from work and enjoy it. I don't expect to be at work when I'm not scheduled and I certainly don't expect my managers to either (an important lesson learned from experience...). So, I gave M (as I lovingly call her) a lot of push back about coming to the store when she should otherwise be at home with her 3 crazy dogs. Well, she insisted on coming to work anyhow.

Soooooo, my old DM came along with my new DM for a lunch touchbase (and yeah, we use this type of lingo everyday. It makes us sound so much more important than we really are...). M was there at the same time and told me that she'd wait for us to get back to say goodbye to Stan. (I really thought I was being fired and he wanted her there to cover the rest of my shift...ok, well maybe not, but I couldn't figure out why in the heck she wanted to wait around for us!) 

Well, two hours later, we walked back into the store -and yeah, you're probably much more perceptive than I was- because in the backroom was a baby shower set up and ready to go! I couldn't believe it. I was floored. I tell my people not to do nice things for me. It's not expected and I would rather them keep their money. Sometimes it's enough to know that they want to do something nice for you...you know? My girls had already approached me about a baby shower and I quickly (and forcefully) said "No. Absolutely not." (I'm such a poop, I know.) But they did it anyways, and here are the picture to prove it.

Margeaux (my mini-me...and I do mean mini), Caroyln (my glamorous A&F model who is really too sweet to be a model) and Big Mama. Oh, and they made me cry, btw...TOTALLY inexcusable and SO embarrassing. Crying at work is so not cool. Lucky for me, I have the sweetest managers in the world and they give the best hugs.

Christian's Goodies...I love the way my team talks about him like he is already here, too. They'll say things like, "Does Christian want a cookie?" or "Christian is going to be just like that little 'such-and-such' over there hiding under the tables..." (they have quite the sense of humor). They gave Christian his first box of diapers, his first piggy bank and his first bathtub play toy...along with tons of other goodies.

Margeaux and Carolyn are quite the little bakers, and constantly insist on one-upping me by bringing in their home baked concoctions (this particular day consisted of a white chocolate cheesecake and made-from-scratch cupcakes with made-from-scratch frosting that matched the colors of the decor). (Me? I'm more likely to buy the team a box of Little Debbie's to show my appreciation.) Margeaux also made me a diaper cake! Isn't it beautiful?! It's not easy to put one of these together just so you know. And I smelled my first diaper...omg. I LOVE the smell of diapers. They smell soooo good! Apparently everyone else has smelled diapers before, but I was so enthused about their aroma that I asked almost everyone (throughout the entire weekend) if they had ever smelled diapers before. (Mostly, I got strange looks and a lot of shaking heads...but seriously! They smell so good. I'm just sayin'.)

So after all that excitement, I ducked out of work (later than I expected...'cause you know, maybe I was planning on leaving a little early?) to hurry over to my mom's house for some leg waxing and girls-night-outting before the shower the next day. Mom and I decided that by the time I got to her house it would be too late to get my legs waxed, so she volunteered to shave them for me. (Isn't that like, the sweetest thing your mom could do? Seriously, it was pretty cute.) And instead of going out for dinner, we opted for staying home and eating some barbecue take-out. We had a great time eating, playing cards and chatting. It's times like those that make me wish I lived closer to her. 

Mom and Deanna decided that it would be smarter for me to open their gifts for Christian before the shower so that we didn't have to haul everything around twice. So, we had a special night...me, mom, Deanna and Stacy...opening gifts, talking and laughing.

Christian's first sippy cup from Grandma. It's too precious.

Outfits from Deanna...you know my little monkey has to have monkeys on his clothes!

Opening presents for someone else has never been so much fun!

Easter outfit!

OMG. Are you serious? Look at these shoes...they are too cute. How can you stand it!?!?!

I got a little emotional. I mean, having everyone so excited for you during such a special time in your life is really touching. Sometimes I'm just not sure how my heart will hold all the love I already have for my son. I'm afraid it will break in two...there's just no way to love someone this way, this much.

Christian's "coming home" outfit from Grandma...it has little bi-planes all over it and is so precious. (Yes. I cried when I opened this, too...what can I say? It was a very emotional day!)


Christian's first Easter outfit from Grandma...the shoes? The hat? Too cute for words...

Christian's second Easter outfit from Grandma...how does this kid already have TWO Easter outfits and he's not even born yet!?!?! (lucky)
Special shower cake that Grandma had especially made for the special day. It matched his room decor which matched his shower decor...we Emerine women like to match things. A lot. Probably too much. Yeah.

What an amazing couple of days I had! I am so lucky and so blessed. I hate using that cliche, but it's true. Sometimes it's through the love of others for you that truly makes you understand how special you are...that you're not just a cog in the wheel...that you're a special person who is loved dearly.

4 comments:

  1. I just want to say that I did predict it - all the crying and the "I told you guys not to do that..." I mean. Work would be so boring if I never did the things you told me not to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw this is SO sweet!!! I think it's precious that you got emotional and totally understandable - it was a mega emotional weekend and getting presents makes it feel REAL!!! you're going to be such a wonderful mom steph :)
    oh and is he gonna call your mom Grandma? or a cute made up name???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ems- I am not sure what he's gonna call her yet. I always called my grandparents grandma and grandpa. But if he makes something up, she is totally open! She wouldn't care if he called her Silly Head McGee as long as he is her grandson! You know? She is sooo excited...

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha that's EXACTLY how my mom feels! it's gramma for now but he actually calls her "mama"

    ReplyDelete