Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Line in the Sand...

I got a call from my doctor today that was most unpleasant. 

No, no...there is nothing wrong with Christian as far as we know (they will conduct a test to make sure he is ok next week)...but I sort of got a wake up call about some of my behaviors. 
125 pounds-goal weight-super healthy
Most of my friends and family know that I lost a ton of weight before I got pregnant. I was hot! (Seriously. I can say that because it was true...plus, look what happened! I totally got knocked up...) I did it by eating right and exercising; no big mystery to losing weight, is there?

As soon as I found out I was pregnant I tried to maintain my healthy lifestyle. In fact, I was committed to not being one of those women who just "blows up" because she's pregnant. I would go to the gym at first and work out hard...but the first trimester sleepiness set in and suddenly my time at the gym became nap time.

Then there was the smoking. Yes, I was a smoker. I still am a smoker...meaning, I love to smoke (just because you give up an addiction doesn't mean you don't still love it). It was my only vice! And I gave it up at 8 weeks. Well, let me tell you what happens when you quit smoking cold turkey (pregnant or not):
1) Your body suddenly searches for the dopamine that it used to get from smoking. (It's like a "happy" chemical produced in the brain...ever wonder why crack addicts have a hard time knocking the habit? Dopamine is the answer. The drugs produce a "fake" dopamine that gives you that "ahhhh...now that's better" effect...like after a hit off a cigarette).
2) There are only two substitutions for dopamine (of the non-drug sort)...sex and carbs.
3) I chose carbs.(Don't get me wrong! Sex is great! But who you gonna call when you're on lunch break??? Mr.Zaxby's or your hubby on the other side of town??)

Sooo, my first trimester cravings were fierce anyways, right? But now add in the super-ultra-gimme-some-of-those-donuts-urges and you create a health problem for yourself and your baby.

I found out today that I failed...yes FAILED...my gestational diabetes test. I tried to convince myself that I was not suffering from gestational diabetes; tried to tell myself that I would know if I was. But you don't know until you are tested. The side effects (if you even have any) look a lot like pregnancy itself! For example: frequent urination, fatigue and extreme thirst. Ummm...hello! That IS pregnancy!

The side effects on the baby are scary. I mean, anything unhealthy for you is unhealthy for the baby, right? Well, even more so with gestational diabetes. So, that means I gotta change. No more "eating whatever I want because I will lose it all after the baby is born". I have to eat a special diet (similar to the one I was on before I got pregnant...imagine that!) so as not to be medicated. (Remember? I don't want to be medicated for any reason at all during this pregnancy!)

So, that's it. I can't believe I was so careless. I suppose much of this pregnancy seems so surreal that I feel detached in a sense from the "cause and effect" of my actions. But now is the time to step it up and make wiser decisions! Here are some great sites to check out about gestational diabetes...

In Other News:
-My iron levels are very low. I have to take prescribed iron tablets and prescribed prenatal vitamins.(This concerns me when I add in the fact that I also have low platelet levels...FABULOUS!)
-My appointment to see Christian in 3D/4D was canceled on Monday this week due to the horrible weather...rescheduled? I don't think so. We have to go to a special place in Atlanta at this point. You are welcome to read my note on facebook for additional rants on that one!
-Week 31 commences on Tuesday...and starts with a doctor's appointment promptly at 8am and then followed by a 2pm 3D/4D ultrasound. Expect a blog displaying beautiful pictures (and maybe even a video!) of my precious Christian come Tuesday night!



1 comment:

  1. can't WAIT to see the pictures! i'm so sorry you got that bad news...but it's awesome that you quit smoking! hopefully you can keep it up after Christian is born too :)

    ReplyDelete