Saturday, January 1, 2011

Our (Better Late Than Never!) Christmas Blog!

Yeah, so? We did it. We put a bow on my belly and took a picture. Don't judge.

For Christmas this year, Ken and I decided to spend the day together at home (big surprise, eh?) and enjoy each others company. 

We had gone kind of skimpy on Christmas gifts for one another for the past few years...one year we even just exchanged ornaments...so that Ken's kids would have more stuff under the tree. With Marcella, Nigel and Devin all working hard and going to school, we decided to just give them money. I mean, that's what they really want anyway! 

Don't you remember when Grandma gave you a gazillion STICKERS for Christmas one year and all you could think was, "Dangit. I would've liked the $5 she spent on these stupid things..." (Wait. Maybe that was just my childhood...WHEN I WAS 12!) Or what about when your Aunt gave you a $100 savings bond (crowd: "Ooooh! Aaaah!" Not.), and all you could think about in your selfish little heart was, "Geez. I'd have settled for 20 bucks cash." Well, that is why we decided to give the kids money this year...and insist that they not give us any gifts in return...(My thought process? Why are you buying me a present if I am giving you money???)

The flip side is that Ken and I went all out on Christmas this year for ourselves and the house. I've had a good year financially...got a raise and a bonus...and Ken has spoiled me ROTTEN (I know what you're thinking! As if I wasn't rotten enough already...) all year long (i.e. A new wardrobe when I lost 25 pounds, a trip to the Keys to show off my bangin-bikini-wearing body, a second trip to the Keys for my birthday and a second coughcough-and third-coughcough wardrobe when we found out that I was pregnant.) So I really wanted to go all out for him for Christmas. 

I know it isn't about the gifts, people! Ok? I get that. But Ken and I live very simply and work very hard so as to enjoy ourselves when we feel like it. And I wanted to spoil my man a little bit! Plus, if you have ever read the book about the 5 love languages you know that giving and receiving gifts is a way some people (ME) show love. Ken is an "acts of kindness" kind of guy. But I am all about buying you a thoughtful gift straight from the heart. I mean, I traded my life for the money to pay for that gift...I ain't just tryin' to buy you a gift card!
Ken opening his presents
Steph: "Ken, hold up the little bottle so we can see how cute it is!"  Remmy: "Is it for me and/or can I eat it?"
Burberry London...my signature fragrance
Mommy opening her stocking. Remmy checking to make sure nothing in there is for her.

 We also tend to go all out for the dog. I mean, she's pretty much like a kid to us anyways! So, Remmy had a really nice Christmas...actually she had starting scouting her stocking well in advance. We had to move it because that rotten dog wanted to sneak treats out of it before Christmas! (Poor, Ken. He has the greediest women in his life...) I think we both had more fun helping Remmy open her gifts than we did opening our own. (Which goes to show how pointless buying Christmas presents for one another can be...)
Daddy is bringing her the "INFAMOUS STOCKING OF JOY!!!!"

Mommy helps her unload the stash...

Mommy: "Look, Remmy! Look at the treaty-treats!" Remmy: "Yeah, yeah. What else ya got in the sock?"

A new collar! (Ken picked pink so people would stop asking, "What's his name?")

Remmy: "ballsballsballsballsballsballsballsballsballs!"

Remmy's Goodies
Playing with her new toys

Treats! (Notice Ken's new sweater...)

Grandma Dennie and Deanna came over. And of course...Grandma Dennie brought treats for Remmy.

Remmy's new anti-burp dish. Because it sits up higher, it is supposed to alleviate intestinal gas problems...Remmy really likes it! She ran over to it every 5 minutes to make sure it was still there.

Remmy after her Christmas bath on Tuesday. Yeah. That didn't last. 
Such joy!

Pooped after an exciting day!
Ken and I decided to get a couple of things for the house that we had been wanting for awhile. I knew that if we didn't get them this year, they would go on the back burner with the baby right around the corner. So! I bought 'em!
Cast iron tea pot with tea-light burner. We figured we'll be spending a lot of time upstairs with the baby and we really enjoy our tea. Therefore, we thought this was a great option so we don't have to traipse up and down the stairs every time we want a cup of tea. It's very cool and kinda sexy lookin'...

J. A. Henckels knife set...twin signature! Only the best for my baby! 

 Mom and Deanna came over to exchange gifts as well. Mom bought a ton of stuff for Christian! I don't think that child shall want for anything. I told her not to shop for me since I didn't really need anything...except a hand-vac! She got me my hand vacuum! (I know it's not very exciting. Ok? But it's what I wanted! Appliances make me very happy...wait. That didn't sound right. But I think we all know what I mean...)

His crib bedding and extra  sheets, a baby bag, and boppy with cover...not to mention the crib she purchased along with the mattress.

Christian's first ornament!
My mom explaining how a nursing gown works...I was seriously confused. I thought my mom had bought me lingerie.
Steph: "So you can just whip it out any time????" Remmy: "Ugh. So boring."

And that was our Christmas in a nutshell! We didn't have any sort of elaborate dinner because mom brought brunch and we stuffed ourselves. I simply cooked the most amazing mac-and-cheese and we enjoyed our Honey Baked Ham. 

Quite a simple day, but quite enjoyable! I will miss my quiet holidays shared by Ken and myself. These past 5 years have been exactly what I have always dreamed of...a simple life, shared with my husband...but not just a husband; a partner, a companion and confidant. Christian will be all the joy we could ever hope for, but I will miss it being "just the two of us". I hope we never forget what made us "us"...

1 comment:

  1. looks like it was a very successful christmas!!!! having a baby DOES change everything and does seem to put "mommy and daddy alone time" on the backburner. you have to work to get that quality time together but you can do it! i highly recommend a little mini get-a-way just the two of you during the holidays so you can keep up some special traditions for just the two of you to enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete