Thursday, September 8, 2011

GOAL!

It seems like yesterday that I was worried sick about whether or not I'd be able to pump enough milk for Christian while I was at work. I remember feeling so nervous and insecure about my milk supply along with my will to do something so physically taxing. But now my son is six months old and I have made it to my original goal.

Christian will have nursed or had breastmilk now for the first six months of his life. Even as I say that, I can't believe I did it...or rather, we did it, as it took many peoples' support to encourage such an accomplishment. There are just a few people I'd like to thank...

-Mama, thank you for encouraging me to breastfeed. It was the best thing you did for me as a baby and it has been the best thing I have done for Christian. It is so helpful to have a mother who is supportive of breastfeeding. You truly planted the seed.

-Ken, thank you for being my cheering section through this journey. You being proud of me day in and day out is what inspires me to continue providing milk for our child. Thank you for reassuring me and supporting my decision.

-Lisa, thank you for allowing me to borrow your pump and for all the advice and support you've given along the way. You have saved my family countless sums of money and eased my mind just by sharing your story.

-Rebecca and Margeaux, thank you for encouraging me to pump milk at work and tolerating our "topless chats". If it weren't for the two of you and our amazing team, I would never have continued pumping after the first month I returned back to work.

-Christian, thank you for being the best teammate any nursing mommy could ever ask for! Your sincere enjoyment while breastfeeding lets me know that all the struggle is totally worth it. I can't imagine not breastfeeding you. And that's why we will continue this journey together for as long as we can. I love you so much. And what I especially love is the bond that we share through you nursing. I love the way you "talk with your mouth full" and look up at me with milk dribbling out of your mouth. I love the way that when nothing else will comfort you, my breast will. Sometimes I think that our bond is weakened because I chose to go back to work, but when I get to hold you and nurse you, I know it's as strong as ever.

-ME! I am so proud of myself for accomplishing the goal I set out to do! Not many women breastfeed anymore...and even less are willing to pump at work...but I DID!
Going forward, I know I am entering holiday season at work and it will become less and less convenient to pump milk at work. However, if I can continue to at least pump twice a day I will still be able to provide enough milk for Christian while I am away. And I think twice a day during holiday is totally doable. I would like to get him through one year...and I remember when I didn't think it would be possible!...and now I have a new goal; I would like to nurse Christian until he is ready to wean himself. If that means he's done nursing at one year, so be it. If he decides he's done with the breast at 18 months, that's ok, too. But I am dedicated to nursing as long as my son finds it satisfying and comforting. And I feel so good about making that choice.

1 comment:

  1. CONGRATS!!!! this is a HUGE milestone and something you should be SO proud of. Majority of mothers out there do not reach this goal, especially working ones! You are an awesome awesome mommy!!! yay :)

    ReplyDelete