Thursday, September 29, 2011

Saying Prayers

When I was a little girl, my parents would always say my prayers with me at night. Even when I was too sleepy to stay awake, we'd still pray together. It was a comforting part of my daily routine.

Now that I have my own child, I think it is important to start getting into the habit of praying with Christian. Sometimes I think that God can't hear me; that I'm too far gone to pray to Him. Whereas I know that's not true, it doesn't mean it makes any easier for me to pray myself. But having a baby really makes you believe that God is there and that His Son is watching down upon us, too. I never knew what it was to be truly thankful for something until I met my husband and had Christian.

I believe there is a "right way" to pray. Not to say that there is a wrong way, just that there is an appropriate way to talk to God. So when we say prayers with Christian at night, here's what we say...

Dear Heavenly Father,

Thank you for the nice day. Thank you for helping me listen and share and play and grow. Thank you for Mommy and Daddy.

Please bless Grandma Dennie and Grandma Bonnie, Aunt Laurie and Abuela, and all my brothers and my sister. Please bless all my friends and family. 

Please watch over me while I sleep and help me to have a good day tomorrow. 

I say all of this in the name of Thy Son Jesus Christ. Amen.

I hope that Christian always knows he can talk to God. I hope he takes refuge in knowing that God's Son died for our sins and that he especially loves children.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE THIS!!!! We started praying with Kye from day one and it's SUCH a blessing to hear him say his own prayers now. It especially makes me proud as I wasn't raised in a home with lots of emphasis on the lord. I love that I'm able to foster THE most important relationship we can have for my son and future children. Good for you for doing that with him, it'll only become a more scared family ritual the older he gets! I also agree there's a "right way" to pray and our prayers are very similar. Now with Christmas coming...Kye does get Jesus and Santa confused sometimes though ;)

    ReplyDelete