Sunday, October 30, 2011

Let's Go Team Christian! 6 Month Checkup

Right before we went to the mountains (Literally. After the doctor visit, we went home and loaded up the cars!), Christian had his 6 month checkup. Because of Mommy's hectic schedule, we weren't able to see the doctor until just a few days before he turned 7 months old. I'm not sure if that's a bad thing, but Mama's gotta do what Mama's schedule allows...you know?

This doctor visit was really special because Daddy got to come! Ken hasn't been to one of Christian's well child checkups because I usually take Christian on one of my days off and Ken is usually working on those days. It was helpful to have that extra set of hands there to keep Christian occupied since his patience levels are low and his energy levels are high!

Yay! Daddy is at the doctor's office with us!
16 pounds! Good growing, Buddy!
25 inches long!
 Christian's weight and growth percentile dropped a little bit. I was concerned that he was only in the 10th percentile whereas he was in the 25th last time. Dr. Rosenthal assured me that his growth was fine...as long as he's growing, there's nothing to be worried about (riiiiight...try telling a mom that!) But I had a hard time believing he was only in the 10th percentile. I mean, to us he has grown soooo much! He feels heavier and looks longer. He's wearing 6-9 month clothes (and even some 12 month clothes!) All I can deduce is that there must be some pretty big babies out there setting the curve so high. I think about all the babies who come in my store that outweigh Christian by 10 pounds sometimes !!!!!! and are the same age, and I guess I am thankful that he's not obese at a young age.

Dr. Rosenthal said that he's just "a little guy" which makes him that much more endearing to me! She did suggest that we feed him more solids when I told her he was only eating about 3-8 ounces of solids a day. She said to make sure we are offering them at every meal...and since then we have made a concerted effort to do so. But honestly, Christian is not a huge fan of solids just yet. He'll eat them if he's hungry, but he'd rather nurse if I'm around. Plus, he's such a piggy when it comes to nursing that he's usually full from milk and isn't all that hungry for more. Really all a baby needs till they are about a year old is breastmilk. My mom didn't feed me any solids till I was a year and I'll eat anything. I think the common concern is that the older a child gets, the less open they are to new and different things.

The best part about the whole visit was hearing about how sweet and good natured Christian is. The nurses LOVE him! They ALWAYS comment on what a pleasure he is.  Thank goodness!
Stethoscopes also double as fun toys!
Same thing with thermometers...
Just about everything is fun to play with!
After all his measurements were done, along with his temperature and breathing and heart rate (which were all perfect, thank goodness!)...it was time to wait...


And eat...
And wait...
And wait...
 And wait...


When the doctor finally visited Christian, he was really enthused with all of her gadgets. She let him have one of the tongue depressors since he laid claim to it anyhow (go figure...) She loved how happy he was and how entertained he was by every. little. thing. Seriously. It takes almost nothing to amuse our child.


Her only concern was that we weren't pulling his skin back enough from his circumcision. Apparently, if you don't pull it back on a daily basis it could grow back and he'd end up having to have another surgery.  Obviously that is not something we want to have happen...it's so weird having a little boy though. I never would have thought that something like that could grow back. And I'm sure one day he'll hate me for writing this, but oh well! It's my right as Mother to embarrass my child!

After Dr. Rosenthal got done inspecting every inch of His Majesty, it was time for Christian's favorite part...edible vaccinations! Woo hoo! Yup. You know my kid! He'll eat just about anything...
But with the good comes the bad. Poor little man never had a chance...
However sad that little face might be, it only lasted for a moment. He is such a trooper with his Daddy and Mommy's tolerance for pain...seriously, this kid almost never cries from pain...
 
Even though I was a little upset by Christian's growth, we still had a great visit. We did decide, however, that doctor visits should take place in the morning hours instead of in the afternoon...Christian was a little grumpy there towards the end. 
His next appointment is in December for his 9 month well child checkup. I can't wait to report his growth and progress!
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment