Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Doctor's Visit: Round One

For people like me who really never experience "morning sickness" (knock on wood, right?) or any of the other crazy side effects of early pregnancy, you constantly wonder..."Am I really even pregnant????"  Well, guess what? Today I found out that I really am pregnant and I've got the picture to prove it (these 7 extra pounds I've put on weren't just an excuse to eat french fries galore)!

An ultrasound technician once told me that the 2 most common things said during the first ultrasound were these:
1) "Oh!  The baby looks just like his daddy!  Look how big his head is!" and...
2) "Oh!  The baby looks just like his daddy!  Look at it's (name of any body part and/or bodily feature that is totally indistinguishable during ANY stage of the first trimester)!"
So, I promised myself that I would not say either of these things.  After all, Ken doesn't have a big head...the baby would have gotten that from my side of the family for sure...But seriously!  I couldn't have said boo to a goose with the way I was crying. 

Not only did I get to see my little baby, I got to hear the "whoosh-whoosh-whoosh-whoosh" of its' heart!  That beautiful sound stole my breath away.  Life is within me!  And I never thought I would get to experience this.  I had never given much thought to any of my friends' pregnancies; never really cared...but I guess better said- I never really understood.  Now I get it.  And now, every step I take is one step closer to holding that little baby in my arms and giving it the best life I can.  

I am reminded of Uma Thurman in Kill Bill: Volume 2.  When the Asian assassin shoots down her door, Uma pleads that her life be spared for the sake of her unborn child (which she found out only moments ago she was carrying).  The two women are across the room from each other-only a few feet separating them-with guns cocked and ready to fire.  The assassin tells her that the whole baby story is bullshit; just a quick distraction to catch her off guard.  Uma responds, "On any other day you would be 100% right.  But today, you're 100% wrong.  Right now, I'm the deadliest woman in the world."  

I am that woman.  I am the deadliest woman in the world.  Because I am carrying the tangible proof of the love I have for my husband.  I am carrying the future generation to my father's legacy.  I am carrying my mother's loving spirit.  This is my baby and it is the world to me.

4 comments:

  1. Awww that was so sweet! Welcome to motherhood! Nothing else in life will feel or be the same now that you think like a mom! But for the better! lol I totally agree with you on the Kill Bill scene.. LOVE that movie btw!
    Again CONGRATULATIONS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Megan! You have been such a huge support with your advice and by just being there! Thank you thank you thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so true..I HATED babies!!! All babies! they were ugly and squirmy and I DID NOT WANT TO HOLD THEM!!!! But having my OWN baby was/is awesome! You'll love it all...it's crazy how much it changes you (although I still don't really like babies much haha)

    ReplyDelete