Sunday, June 12, 2011

A thought from Dad



Sunny morning babysitting..

I’m sitting on the deck with my coffee and the little prince this morning and a number of things occur to me.  The first of which is always the same on mornings like this one.   “Thank You God, life is good…  In fact, I always feel a little guilty about my state of happiness when I think about the plight of my peers, most of who are contemplating their next big purchase on a morning like this or agonizing over how to pay for the last one.  (Poor Souls)   And where it is true that I worked very hard this week to afford myself this time with Sir Christian James, my thoughts will not be of work this morning but of adventures to come with those I cherish.   We will talk of sailing, and sandy beaches, of how extraordinarily graceful his mother is when she free dives among the sea turtles.  We’ll discuss the sound of sea birds, frogs, dogs and even roosters.   And I will read to him if only to see his expression with my many silly theatrics.  He will know beyond the shadow of any doubt that we are the luckiest guys on the planet because we are both loved by the same incredible young women.  And he will know that all good things are by the grace of a God he cannot see but can certainly hear if he listens with his heart.

I’ve spent most of my life thinking nothing could compare to Kowloon Harbor, the Champs-Elysées or sailing the Islands. I was wrong. No experience, fair or foul could have prepared me for the way I feel when I look over first thing in the morning and see this little man’s smile.
Morning Smile


Having a serious talk with Dad

2 comments: