Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Ken's Corner


Being a daddy isn't easy. The bond between father and child has to be "earned" as Ken says. And since Ken stays at home with Christian while I am at work, he more than earns the strong bond between them. When Christian is upset, all I need do to calm him down is nurse him. Ken has to try everything else in the book (because he doesn't have the "instant comfort equipment" that I do).

This is his "Routine" for determining the cure for a meltdown:
1) Check the diaper
2) Give him a bottle
3) Walk around the house (we call this "taking the tour")
4) Let him look at his mobile in his bassinet
5) Let him look at his mobile in his crib
6) Take his clothes off and let him be nakey nakey eggs and bakey
7) Walk around outside
8) Go for a walk in the carriage
9) Put him in the bathtub
10) And if all else fails...repeat steps 1-9.

And since Ken and I don't believe in letting Christian cry it out, Ken's day is usually spent doing all of the above activities multiple times. (Although Ken says that he has let him cry for 10 minutes a couple of times. That's hardcore, huh?)

*SIDE NOTE: Because Ken is willing to do a number of different things to try to calm our kid down, I am so thankful that he is his primary caretaker. If Christian was at a daycare would they be willing to do whatever it took to ensure my kid was happy and comfortable? I don't know the answer to that, but I'm willing to bet that most people would try 1 and 2 of the "Routine" and then throw their hands in the air in defeat.*

Not only does Ken put Christian's happiness and comfort first, but he and Christian have a super special relationship. I guess the reason I am so impressed by their relationship is because I don't think most dads would revel in spending soooo much time with their kids. But Ken enjoys every minute.

And I'm not sure if you all know Ken very well, but he's usually a pretty serious guy. But when he's with Christian he is so silly. Like, sometimes I wonder where my husband went when I overhear the "conversations" he has with Christian. For example...

The other morning I was getting ready for work and I walk in the room to find this...
And Ken saying in the sing-song voice he ONLY uses with Christian, "The Little Baboo (Ken's nickname for Christian) is a flying nun! Oh no! Baboo is a flying nun!" I mean, seriously, who does that? He is so random. I laughed so hard I cried!

And then another day when I called home during my lunch break Christian was having a fit. What did he say to Christian in his special sing song voice to help calm him down and reassure him that the world wasn't coming to an end? He told Christian, "You better stop crying or Mommy said she's gonna trade you for a jar of peanut butter." OMG. I couldn't stop laughing.

So, because Ken and Christian have such a special relationship, I am going to document some of the funny things that happen between them in a blog called, "Ken's Corner". I can't promise that it will be weekly, but it will be often enough to keep you smiling!

2 comments:

  1. so precious!!!!!! i think it's a BIG credit to Ken that he's so involved and enjoys it so much. many men who become daddies "later" in life don't seem to relish in it the way he has!!!! heck hes more involved then majority of 20 year old daddies!!!! you are so blessed to have him for sure and i'm sure it's only made your bond together even stronger. SO great!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. also do you have an infant swing???? have you tried that to calm him???? also a ride in the car never hurts to add to the list! some babies even love just being pushed in the stroller. i've heard from a MILLION moms that the swing is a god-send (kye never liked his, go figure!)

    ReplyDelete