Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Let's Go TEAM CHRISTIAN! (The Sequel)

"Way to go Team Christian, way to go! Woot woot! Way to go Team Christian, way to go! Woot woot!"

That's right! The second month's visit to the pediatrician has proven Christian victorious over...well...over non-victoriousness! FANTASTIC!

Once they called him back, the first thing they did was weigh my little man. I remember it like it was yesterday...(actually it was today, but you get the idea...)  

It was the moment of truth! The crowd became silent as the nurse reached for Christian. Apprehensively, Mommy handed Christian over to the nice lady and held her breath. Mommy knew that she and he had worked very hard for the past month, and that only the scale would be the silent judge of their combined efforts. Carefully the nurse lay Christian atop the scale. The crowd awaited the final read aaaand...TOUCHDOWN! Christian weighed in at 11 pounds 4.5 ounces! The nurse announced, "WE HAVE A WINNER!" The crowd went WILD!

Heavyweight champion!
Christian gained over 2 pounds in one month on breastmilk alone! There is a certain satisfaction in knowing your child is growing at a healthy rate while nourished solely on the breastmilk you provide. Being at work and pumping every three hours has proven to be a challenge, but I am happy to say that my co-workers are super supportive of my efforts and have encouraged me to stick with it. Christian also grew another inch and a half. Thus putting him at 22 inches even!

When the doctor entered the room she said, "I'm looking for a big boy! Is there a big boy in here!?!?" (Don't you just love that?) Dr.Rosenthal was so excited to see how much Christian had grown. She even verbalized how luscious his chubby little thighs were...(Hey! They are luscious!) She asked how often he was eating, to which I replied, "Whenever he wants"..."Good", she said. Then she asked how he was sleeping. I told her that he slept really well last night but that it's pretty normal for him to wake up about twice for a snack. I told her that it didn't bother me and that we are continuing co-sleeping because I get more sleep without having to get up to feed him. She agreed that it's normal for him to not sleep through the night. If, at six months, he's not sleeping through the night, then we might have a problem.

She then took out a little toy and passed it back and forth in front of his face and watched him follow it with his eyes. She noted that he preferred to look at the human face in that he kept making intense eye contact with her throughout the visit (You know my kid is intense...) She also witnessed him bring his hands together in complete amazement! She said that most babies don't do that till they're 3 months (Score!) Dr.Rosenthal also commented on how happy Christian was. That made my heart so happy! A mother loves for people to tell her how happy her baby is.
Smiling for the doctor!
I told her that a week ago Ken and I had been deathly ill with colds that were really aggressive. I told her that even with Christian sleeping next to me and being around the two of us constantly, he still didn't get sick. She confirmed what I already knew by telling me that the antibodies he was getting from my breastmilk were keeping him from getting sick! So get this: you're sick, your body produces antibodies to fight off the infection and since your child is drinking the antibodies he's already "vaccinated" from the infection! How cool is that? It's like I'm a human vaccine! Groovy...
Yummy! Christian loves eating vaccines!
Now it was time for the fun part...time for the real vaccines. Christian had to get two shots and some sort of sippy dropper immunization thingy (that was the scientific term, of course). He loved the sippy dropper immunization thingy. The nurse was like, "Wow! He really likes this. Not many babies do..." To which I responded, "Yeah. My kid will eat anything you put in his mouth. How's about giving us one of those things for the road?"

Unfortunately, all vaccines are not as fun (or tasty) as the sippy dropper immunization thingy. Some vaccines are a little painful. Christian got two shots in his luscious chubby thighs today. But he took it like a champ!

Poor guy. He never saw it comin'.
Yep. That one hurt.

Christian only cried for about five seconds and then he was back to his normal happy self! What a trooper!

He even got TWO red band aids to show off his new battle wounds (...because only real men get to wear crayon band aids!)

Christian had a great visit with Dr.Rosenthal, but about half way through the visit, his eye started to tear up. It was so weird and a little disconcerting. I was afraid that he had either scratched his eye or had come into contact with something he was allergic to. I asked the doctor if something was wrong and she reassured me that it was only a clogged tear duct and not something terrible. She suggested rubbing the side of his nose to unclog the duct a couple of times a day. Easy enough.

 We are so very grateful to have a healthy happy baby.  He is all we hoped and prayed for and more...

Be sure and stay tuned for the third installment of Go Team Christian in July!

2 comments: