Saturday, May 7, 2011

The Second Month

NEWS FLASH! CHRISTIAN IS TWO MONTHS OLD! TIME IS FLYING BY!...Ok. Now that I got that out of my system, here's what we've been up to this month...

Added another chin!

Lots of hard work went into this double chin...
Went to the beach!
Met my sister and my brother...
Started wearing "big boy diapers"! (size ones instead of newborn)
Made a friend! (Lily Ashcraft)
Did my first photo shoot
And celebrated my first Easter!

What a busy month Christian has had! You should see his Day Planner! I have to call his agent just to get a date. Well, that's a lie because every night this month Christian has slept curled up right beside me. I really struggled with the whole co-sleeping thing (is it right? is it wrong?), but Ken and I agree that it's ok. Since I have gone back to work (and sometimes get home really late at night...try 1 am!), co-sleeping is a great way to reconnect and bond (Thank you, Ashley Colbaugh...my fellow crunchy mom!) Honestly, I think I was more concerned about Ken and my love life dwindling, but that hasn't been a problem in the least ;) Finding a different room while Christian is asleep kinda makes it feel like vacation sex! What? T.M.I?  

This past month Christian has been one very lucky little boy in that he has made not one, but two special lady friends! Yes. It's true. My son has already wooed the hearts of two beautiful little girls while Mommy chit-chatted with their mommy's at lunch. Christian was able to "meet" Stephanie Ashcraft's daughter, Lily (who is now 7 months old) and Katie Lynn's daughter, Kylee (who is almost exactly one month younger than Christian)  during our weekly "mommy lunches". I really enjoyed my time being a stay at home mom and even indulged in some girl's day shopping and lunching with my friends. It's so important to have friends that are moms...here's why:
1) They never judge you for being late (And yes.I was always the one who was late.)
2) They never try to keep talking to you on the phone while your baby is having a meltdown.
3) They understand when you have to cut and run instead of shopping due to afore mentioned meltdown.
4) They love you no matter whether you've showered or not.
5) They don't notice if you are a repeat offender...and if they do, they are kind enough not to say anything. (*Repeat Offender*=someone who wears the same outfit the next day.)

Since I have gone back to work Ken has been Christian's primary caretaker and will remain as such. He has cut back his day hours to accommodate my work schedule and has taken on more teaching hours at night. Juggling schedules can be a little dicey but we feel like it is worth the effort. The bond that Christian has with his daddy is indescribable. I watch them together and I know that Ken is most assuredly the best dad I have ever known. 

Does Christian sleep through the night? Um, no. Does it bother me? No. It's normal. He still wakes up at 2 and 4 in the morning, but sometimes he doesn't even want to eat; he's just stretching. I feel so rejected when I try to feed him and he just goes back to sleep. I don't know what I am going to do when I stop nursing. I think I will be distraught!

We learned a few things about Christian this month!
1) He still doesn't love his bassinet. Big surprise, right?
2) He LOVES bath time! And in order to establish a routine, we have started giving him a bath almost every night. This month we have really used his plastic baby tub a lot. He loves to lounge around in it! I almost want to give him a glass of scotch and a cigar...

3) The reason he wasn't crazy about his pacifiers from the first month is because they were nothing like a nipple. They were exactly like a bottle! So we switched from a Soothie to a Nuk and now he'll actually suck on a pacifier for more than 10 seconds at a time. He's still not dependent on them all the time, but I'd rather him suck on a paci instead of his hand or thumb.
New pacifier
Old pacifier

4) Christian is less fussy at night. And we know why. Let's just say that Mommy has a soda problem. And Mommy was drinking a little too much caffeine. And the caffeine made Christian very angry. So now Mommy drinks caffeine free diet coke (aka: colored water) and we have a much happier baby come bedtime.
5) With a fashion sense that rivals Calvin Klein, Christian is also a huge fan of disco! He love love loves the Bee Gees! Anytime he's crying in the car, we turn on the Bee Gees and bam! He quits crying! It's pretty funny. Come to find out, he is also a really good dancer...
6)I know everyone thinks their kid is more advanced, smarter, stronger, cuter and wittier than everyone elses, but mine really is! Really! Because look what my kid can do before he's even TWO months old!


 That's right! Christian can smile and "laugh" (His laughs sound more like a giggle crossed with a coo. It's super cute and can soften the hardest of hearts.) I can't wait till Christian can smile on a regular basis. It really makes my day.

And then there's the talking. I know, your first thought is that I am exaggerating..  O.K. maybe a little but I assure you he does try to talk.  Maybe not the Kings English yet, but he is very expressive. When I talk softly to him, he looks directly at my mouth and tries to talk back.  Something I have tried to capture for your amazement but of course he is always more expressive when there is no camera present... Murphy's Law


We go for Christian's two month checkup on May 17th. I can't wait to see how much weight he has gained and how much longer he has gotten! Tune in for the second edition of Go Team Christian after that appointment.

2 comments:

  1. Christian is so engaging!! It's true in the last video, every time you "Aaaaahhhh," he opens his mouth if not "aaaahh's" himself! So cool! You're a great Mom, Stephanie! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw it all sounds like it's going great!!! he's such a handsome happy boy ;) jealous of those lunch dates for sure - they are some sweet girls!

    ReplyDelete