Sunday, August 21, 2011

The Crazy Kidsignment!

Who doesn't love a good deal, right? Well, good deals were many to be had at Gwinnett's Kidsignment sale this past week.

I decided to go with my BFF, Stephanie (Yes. We are Stephanie Squared.), and her daughter, Lily, to see what kind of good deals we could really find. Steph's advice, since she is a seasoned Kidsignment goer, was to make sure you know what you're going there looking for. In other words, have a list. Christian's list included clothes for 6-9 months and 9-12 months (since he has NONE!) and some toys (since he is starting to play with things instead of just his feet and hands).

Because I work in retail, sometimes I think I'm a little jaded as to the "good deals" that consignment can bring. I know how much something costs once it hits the clearance rack, and I know that some of the prices of some of the used articles of clothing were a little ridiculous. I am an avid couponer and know how to work sales with coupons in order to get the most bang for my buck. So whereas the hunt of consignment shopping is fun, it isn't always the best deal.

Packed out parking lot...
One thing that shocked me was the price of toys! I was expecting garage sale prices (Like, $2 or $3 for handheld toys)...ummm, no ma'am! We're talkin' $10 and even $15 for little toys! When I told Stephanie that I felt like the prices were high she told me that new toys in the stores were like, $30!!!! I was a little shocked. I realized that I had no concept of what baby stuff actually costs. But I decided that $10 was all I was going to spend on used toys. I found a Johnny Jumper in good condition for $10 and was reassured by several shoppers that that was, in fact, a good deal. So, Christian now has his Johnny Jumper...if only he could figure out how to use it!
The toy building...
After leaving the toy building, (Yes, they had TWO buildings!) we headed over to the clothes building. Oh. My. Goodness. I have never seen so many clothes! They had everything from maternity clothes, to Halloween costumes, to adult sized clothes. It was a lot to take in, and I felt a little overwhelmed, but once I found the 6-9 month boys section, I was a little more focused! We narrowed down about 9 outfits that were in good condition and would be good for winter time. I have a hard time buying a lot because who knows what size he's going to be?! I mean, he's still wearing pants and shorts size 0-3 months! He has no hiney...
One VERY SMALL section of the clothes building...
The line for the checkout was loooong! It was wrapped halfway around the building (Which, according to several people in line, was not that bad...). However, I was approached by a lady who was working the sale, and she very quietly asked me how many items I had. She asked me if I had less than 10 items, and I replied that I had about that many, but that I was in line with my friend who had a lot more than 10 items and I would prefer to stay in line with her instead of going to the express line. Apparently, I had committed the mortal sin of Kidsignment shopping! You have to be chosen...yes, chosen...to go to the express line. Even if you have 10 items or less, they have to give you a ticket to actually go to the express line. It's a very big deal to be one of the chosen ones and my refusal to move to the express line was like winning the lottery and telling the lottery people to keep the money.
The line from H E double hockey sticks...
The coveted Ticket to the Express Line...
Anyway, Stephanie (the other one...) was insistent upon getting into the express line...she ditched a few items in order to be one of the chosen few. I was approached again by a worker (I probably should have played the lottery that day...I mean, who is approached twice in one day to go to the express line?!) and told her I wouldn't go unless Stephanie (the other one...) could go. The worker finally relented and allowed us to go to the express line. I will never forget the faces of the women around us as we walked to the express line...envy was never so green!

All in all, Kidsignment was a good time and a good experience. I think the best deals to be had are on the 25 and 50 percent off days...I figure if what you want is still there on 50% off day, then it was meant to be. Next year we are going to to try to consign some of Christian's stuff, and we will definitely be going back!

Christian and Lily ready for their big day out!
Stephanie Squared!
Lily was out like a light after lunch...
Christian and his Scary Frog
Ready to shop? or A little scared?
Stephanie and Lily waiting in line
Finally asleep...
Christian and Mommy waiting in line...



No comments:

Post a Comment