Tuesday, August 2, 2011

A Solid Start

After talking with our doctor at Christian's four month checkup we decided to start giving Christian a little bit of cereal a few times a day with a spoon once he hit 5 months (even though our doctor said we could start anytime). But with all things Stephanie, I got a little impatient and decided to try it out a little bit early.

(SN: I have spoon fed exactly one baby in my entire life! Count 'em...ONE! So for me, this is really fun! I look forward to feeding him with his little spoon and allowing him to play with it and the bowl of cereal!)
"Hmmmm...what is this, Mommy?"
Here's a video of his first time eating cereal!


There are a few reasons that it is so important (to me) that he eat with a spoon:

 1) Since he derives very little (almost none) of his nutritional value from cereal, it's not about the extra caloric intake...it's about him learning to masticate (Yes. Masticate is a real word...look it up, you dirty minded person!) instead of suck.

2) I want him to have fun with his food! I want him to feel free to make a mess and get food all over the place while he's learning to like new things! (Some of you are thinking I've lost my mind, I know. But! That's why God invented showers...and hoses...) I do tend to be a "free spirit" type person/mother, and I don't have a problem with Christian gettin' down and dirty...believe me, if messiness is the greatest of my concerns...I'll take it!

3) It ain't about makin' him sleep through the night, people. There is NO scientific evidence that a baby sleeps better with cereal or food in its' tummy. Therefore, (and believe me, Ken and I have argued about this point...) if he's not eating cereal with a spoon, there is NO reason for him to eat it (especially since breastmilk is far superior in nutrition and calories).

I bought some organic carrots and peas and what-not at the grocery the other day just for fun! We obviously don't plan on giving him any veggies until he's 6 months (and even then Ken will probably make his baby food...although that might involve more effort than it's worth!), but they're there for me to look at get excited about. (Truly, this is so much fun!)

My La Leche book completely rejects the idea of feeding baby any solids until they show signs of wanting them and being able to eat them on their own. But I guess this is probably the first time I have gone against my La Leche book...it has really been my trusty guide for the past four and a half months.(Please don't judge me...)

There is one down side to feeding Christian solids...poopy diapers. Peweeee! Those things are stinky! He also does what we call "stinky poots"...these two side effects of solid eating really make me miss his odorless, breastmilk diapers. He has truly earned his nickname of "Stink Fanny" after he does a poopey nowadays...

Christian likes to help me when it's time to eat! He's just a little obsessed with his spoon...

"Spoon..."
"Spoon..."
"Spoon..."
"I really liked that spoon thing, Mom!"
"Mommy! That was so much fun!"
Christian has taken one more step into becoming a big boy! *Sigh* It's breaks my heart and thrills me all at the same time!

2 comments:

  1. Good for you for being so carefree! I'm the same way and most people think I'm crazy. People are amazed that I "allow" toys out in my house at all times. Ummm... two kids live here! It is nice to see that you are having fun with him and not just doing what you have. Feed him whenever he is ready. Damian started eating solids at four months because he was ready. He loved it! Madelyn on the other hand wasn't ready until she was almost seven months old. You know more than anyone when he will be ready.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz, we aren't making him eat solids...like, last night he was good for a couple of bites and then he wanted to play with the spoon! haha So i threw most of the cereal away and that was that!

    ReplyDelete