Friday, August 5, 2011

Mommy's Moment: A Mini-Meltdown

* The post you are about to read contains whiney, selfish and it's-all-about-me material. A slight feeling of nausea may incur after reading a few paragraphs. Readers are encouraged to throw up in mouth a little and continue reading. Thank you for your cooperation. *

Let me preface this post with this: I am the mother of the most amazing kid I've ever known and wife to the most compassionate and sensitive husband. And I know that. No questions asked...hands down. But even Mommies get a little frustrated and that's what this is about...

Here's the story: We're on our way home from an awesome play date with Christian's friend. Little Man is sleeping oh, so sound in the backseat and I think to myself, "Myself, my eyebrows could really use a good waxing...". So, I stop at a plaza with a nail shop that I've been to a couple of times before. I walk in and am directed to go to the "waxing room". I set Christian down and the waxing lady goes to work. About 30 seconds after the wax hits my skin, my little angel starts screaming. So, the scenario is this: me trying to comfort him from the couch thingy they lay you down on ("Hey Buddy! It's ok! It's okaaaay!!!!"), the eyebrow lady trying to calm him down (Clicking noises???) AND wax my eyebrows AT THE SAME TIME, two other nail ladies rocking him back and forth talking to him in Vietnamese (probably trying to cast out demons because my kid went from Caucasian to Crazy Red Beast in .5 seconds flat). It was really ridiculous. (Mental Image: Flash forward a couple of years and I see myself chasing down my precious two year old in the nail shop with those white strips over one of my eyes and  the other eye stuck together with wax...scary.) For lack of a better term, and to overuse a super annoying one, it was an epic failure. The super bad thing is that I was mad...like, really mad. And for the first time I was like, really mad at my own kid.

Obviously I'm not a d-bag who smacks their 5 month old when they cry...it's not his fault he's crying! But I got frustrated because I kept thinking, "Why can't I have 5 effing (Yup. I said effing.) minutes to myself???????????????". Mommy can't do anything nice for herself because she is always either at work or at home being a Mommy! "NOBODY CARES ABOUT THE MOMMY!!!!!!!!!" That was my ultimate notion.

And yeah, I know I signed up for this gig, but guess how many "girls night outs" I've had since I've had Christian (Not that I was a fan of girls night out before Christian), or how many nights it's just been me and Ken, or how many times someone has offered to help out and give me just a little break???? I don't even need one hand to count on because the answer is NONE!

I still have needs! And I get so tired of working 40+++ hours a week and then coming home and having mommy duty. I am physically exhausted 90% of the time because I have no time! And it's a physical exhaustion because my body seems to always be the property of someone else...if it's not at work laboring (because hey-what-do-ya-know? I don't sit behind a desk all day!), then it's with my child feeding and if it's not doing one of those two things, it's probably doing housework or trying to be intimate with my husband. My body literally has no down time.

I don't know what the answer is. I mean, most people would say, "Tell your hubby to watch him for a day while you go out and have some fun!", but he works as hard as I do on my days off! Ask my husband the last time he had his nails done or his eyebrows waxed or his hurrr did! (Not that he did any of those things before!...See honey? I totally clarified!) And I don't think I can justify spending unnecessary money just to feel better.

Anyways, I'm tired. I'm worn out. I want to be pampered. I want someone TO REMEMBER THE MOMMY! I'm not a friggin' robot! I can't go to work, come home, be mommy, go to bed, get up, go to work, come home, be mommy, go to bed...without something nice once in a while. I'm not made that way as selfish as it may seem. I just need a little, tiny, eensey-weensey break. Please? Anyone? I fear I may shrink till I disappear! 

4 comments:

  1. Girl, if I had a nickel. I don't really have any solutions or advice for you...just wanted to let you know that you are definitely not alone. This happens to every mom. The other night, we met Jay after work and I was trying to talk to him about our day or whatever and Cooper kept interrupting me and I almost had a meltdown myself. I just wanted to talk to my husband who I hadn't seen all day for one minute! And you should enjoy this time that you can still say "effing" when you get frustrated. My kid is old enough to repeat it or ask me what it means! Hope today is a better day. You will have a million more episodes like this, but I promise they will be long forgotten the next time your little boy does something cute. Hang in there =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It could be worse.... when Macy was Christian's age I found out I was pregnant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are describing a problem that every single mom faces. When Michael gets home from work (if he even gets home from work, he usually works 80+ hours a week) I sometimes just go lock myself in my bedroom, turn the tv on something good and fold clothes. It isn't glamarous, but it is a few minutes to myself. I also like to go the grocery store by myself just for an hour alone. It is nice to be out and not have to watch two kids like hawks. Sara is right, whenever he does something cute or tells you how much he loves you all of your frustrations will be gone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachael's comment cracks me UP haha...it's true it could be worse but it's also mega tough to be in the spot you're in. Even as a stay at home mom, i have those feelings. it's TOUGH to be a mom!!!! i never wanted to be just a mom ya know? I still wanted to be "cool" and "fun" and a "hot mom" and I realized that once you enter motherhood those definitions change. Compared to a 19 year old i'm neither cool or fun and no mom is ever really hot ya know? It gets super depressing at times for sure and you DO need a break!!!! however, if that's not possible find SOMETHING that is YOURS. I have several random tv shows I dvr and save them for such a day. I vege out, eat a big bowl of ice cream and watch one of those shows. Ice cream ALWAYS helps right? ;)

    ReplyDelete