Thursday, August 11, 2011

Mommy Of The Year Award

"And the 'Mommy Of The Year Award' goes to..." (drumroll!)..."Stephanie Clark! Stephanie failed to follow the instructions of her Le Leche League book and now her son has a horrible allergic rash! Congratulations, Stephanie! You not only win the 'Mommy Of The Year Award', but you also win a month's supply of guilt and kicking yourself in the butt!"

It's true. The one and only time I fail to follow the advice of my Le Leche book, my kid breaks out in an allergic rash all over his body. Fabulous. We noticed a rash under Christian's chin at his 4 month checkup and began applying Desitin. Well, Desitin obviously has no effect when your son is ALLERGIC to cereal! His rash kept getting worse and I finally said, "No more! I'm takin' this kid to the doctor!" The doctor said to hold off on cereal since he is (obviously) allergic for about two months. I told her he wasn't really interested anyway and she said to just go back to breastmilk only.

I wish I could copy and paste what my LLL book says on starting solids before your child is ready...seriously, Christian is like, a poster-child for that section of the book. He's not interested in solids as far as eating them is concerened...he's just interested in looking at your food! He's not trying to grab your spoon to feed himself...he's trying to grab your spoon because it's "Shiny! Ohhh! Look at the shiny thing Mommy keeps sticking in her mouth! Want the shiny thing!" The other thing it clearly states is that if you feed a baby cereal and a grain of cereal gets to his bloodstream (through coughing...which happens a lot because he's learning to masticate), his body will develop an allergy to it. Well, guess what? His did..good job, Steph.

Well, lesson learned! We won't be starting solids until he is truly interested in them...and with the way this kid loves the breast, that could take a while...

2 comments:

  1. I felt SO much pressure to start kye on solids earlier than I wanted to. It seemed like every book and brochure said to start them early!!! ALL my friends started their kids early so I joined the club too with the cereal...Kye didn't have any reaction to it but I realized that I wasn't doing it for KYE I was doing it b/c I felt pressured so I stopped and waited until he was older. It IS best to wait, and good for you for deciding to do that! He doesn't really need any solids until after the first year anyway!!! the breast is best ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I didn't feel any pressure from the outside except from my doctor (who said he was ready)...I just really enjoyed feeding him with a spoon. My mom only breastfed me till I was a year old and then started solids...we're going to wait till he's interested. We'll offer, but never make him eat. We'll see what happens!

    ReplyDelete